When my plein air group at Martinez Waterfront Park last Saturday I really enjoyed the painting process despite getting a late start. Then I tinkered in the studio, never one to leave well enough alone. Above is the final version and below are the steps I took to get there, recorded just for fun. First is the thumbnail sketch/value study:
Then I blocked in the colors using really thin paint at the average color of each of the large shapes and planes or puzzle pieces as I like to think of them. I was pleased to see I did the drawing pretty well, and was able to fit everything on the square panel in about the same proportions as I saw them and as in my thumbnail sketch.
My time was up; I’d only had 2 hours to paint but it was time to meet up for the critique. Here’s a photo of the painting on the easel in front of the scene I was painting.
Below is a photo of the painting as it looked when I finished it on site.
I decided to see if I could improve it, and especially wanted to get rid of the egregious bilious green grass in the bottom right corner so below is the first studio revision.
After looking at it for a while I decided I liked the original better and wanted to try to work with it some more to see if I could increase the sense of depth and get back some of the brightness of the water.
So #6 above and the larger image at the top is where I’m stopping. I’ve got so many more paintings I want to do and though I could continue to diddle with this little 10×10″ painting I’m calling it done. And then I look at the reflections in the water and think maybe if I just…. but my art-fairy-godmother will take my brushes away if I do. Thank you art-fairy!