Akua Kolors on Arches 88 paper, 6×8″
To enlarge, click image, select “All Sizes”
Monotypes are really interesting to make and really confusing. I’m just barely finding my way with the process. For one thing, in order to make the final print not be a mirror image of your original drawing or photo, you trace the original and then put the tracing paper upside down under the acrylic printing plate as a template. That doesn’t seem to difficult until you also try to refer to the original drawing or photo which is now a mirror image of the one you’re working with. So if you want to see what color something is in the original, it’s all backwards. I finally solved that problem by looking at my original photo in a mirror I propped up beside it.
The other complicated part is that I was doing three printings on the same paper of yellow, blue and red — sort of like glazing in watercolor — in order to mix additional colors by layering them on the paper. First I applied yellow on the printing plate (a sheet of acrylic) where I wanted the image to end up with yellow (or green or orange after applying blue and red), and wiping it off where the image should not be yellow and then printed it. Then I did the same with the blue ink, wiping it off where I wanted the yellow to stay yellow, not become green, or where I was going to want purple later and then printed that layer. Then I did the same for the red, trying to get some oranges over the yellows, purples over the blues and dark brows for the branches by combining all three colors there. I was going to do one more layer to add some black lines but had to stop and get ready to go out for the evening.
Tomorrow I’m going to explore some more with monotype (I’ll photograph my process and post that too, which will probably be easier to understand than my explanation above). I’m also going to finally begin a full-sheet watercolor painting I’ve been meaning to get started with for way too long.